gin soaked girl

This blog is about me and my adventures in the land of gin. Yes, gin is a country and I've visited it often. In fact I've conducted a passionate love affair with the place. Bought the t-shirt and definitely been to the duty-free. Along the way, I've been to a few gigs and undergone a bit of a personal renaissance. This blog celebrates the art of growing old disgracefully. Roll up. Roll up. Come join the fayre!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Librarian chic convention

The Long Blondes at the Proud Gallery, Camden. 7 November 2006.

Free gig alert! Special, 'selected audience', not for the riff-raff, website-viewing, mail list signer-uppers only, album-launch type deal. Yeah, me- on the guest list like.

What can be said about the venue? Well, there were fake plastic horses a la Barbie's playmates, and balloons (lots of) and a red and pink theme, and giant dice, and sixties music (Stones etc) and lots of Kate Jackson and co, looky-likeys. Oh, and pink wristbands. Very nouvelle vogue.

So, we were relaxing, having a cool time, waiting for the gig proper to be announced or something, and then we notice that the stage area seems to be filling up rather and we have to make like squirrels and scamper over pretty sharpish. Ouch! God, there's a lot of people here tonight. In fact, what with all the balloons, it looks like a load of older, bigger kids with alcohol have taken over a kiddies party. Bad prefects! Anyway, vodkaslut reckons they're liggers in the main (and she knows how to recognise them). But hang on, does that mean us? To be honest readers (or reader), I'm not that hot on the definition of ligger- is it just someone who knows someone who kinda met the band once? Someone who does their hair occasionally? Industry people? Or anyone who didn't pay to get in? I'm guessing its not in the Oxford Dictionary, or I'd look it up. But it would be good to know.

Yeah, so then the band comes on and boy, they're on the small side- Tonka toy height in fact, or then maybe not; just normal size and standing on a very low stage. Anyway, they're fabulous- I think that Kate was wearing a lot of leopard-print and a pencil skirt, but can't be sure what with the being squashed to sardines thing going on. Luckily the atmosphere becomes less sordid (I got to know one young man standing in front of me very well that night) about half way through (I'm so proud of myself for standing my ground), and the crowd starts to regain its capacity to breathe in and out uninhibited. Phew. No fainting for me then. That would have been embarrassing.

The band were great by the way- Kate Jackson has a fantastic voice, really deep and resonant. Very Debbie Harry, Heart of Glass era. And is it me, or does she sound like Adam Ant a wee bit?

I'm loving the whole librarian becomes pop star scene- and the predatory, voyeuristic vibe of 'Once and Never again'. Genius.

8/10.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the Urban Dictionary will tell you!

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ligger

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors

Free Web Counter
hit Counter

Hits

Free Web Counter
hit Counter