gin soaked girl

This blog is about me and my adventures in the land of gin. Yes, gin is a country and I've visited it often. In fact I've conducted a passionate love affair with the place. Bought the t-shirt and definitely been to the duty-free. Along the way, I've been to a few gigs and undergone a bit of a personal renaissance. This blog celebrates the art of growing old disgracefully. Roll up. Roll up. Come join the fayre!

Friday, October 06, 2006

I am young and I am hot!

Maximo Park at the Brixton Academy, 6th October 2006.

Not me but the dynamic and frenetic Paul Smith who has increased hugely in stature and ahem, stage presence, since myself and vodkaslut saw him last at the teeny weenie Infinity club in Mayfair, back in early 2005 (two for one vodka shots and a late licence, it was fabulous). I really shouldn’t have left it this long between Maximo gigs, and I’m not sure how it happened as I always loved them big time, but here I am and ready to make up for lost time with added enthusiasm and dynamism of my own (the gin is flowing).

On the first occasion we saw them, Maximo Park were still on the up and up, still striking slightly pretentious poses, combing their hair over awkwardly (Paul Smith), and being generally viewed as a passing oddity. Being from ‘up north’ they were part of the new influx of Britpop/indie adventurers making their way south with a hop, a skip and a jerky, angular guitar riff forward. Unlike The Futureheads though, who we saw them support at the Astoria, Maximo seemed rather more cerebral, Bohemian, if not a bit foppish. The songs were oddball narratives with pedantic lyrics- ‘I’ll do graffiti/If you sing to me in French’ (Graffiti)...'I sleep with my hands across my chest/And dream of you with someone else' (Going Missing); The book-reading affectation (revived nostalgically at the Brixton Academy) confirmed the Daniel Day-Lewis predilections of the lead singer, and seemed oh so chic and sophisticated.

Back to the Brixton Academy in 2006 and the old fashioned intellectualism is still in evidence, but no longer seems in any way effete or marginal. ‘These songs mean a lot to us and we’re so glad you came to hear them tonight’, the elegantly suited and booted Mr Smith reassures the audience. With his white ‘Chinatown’ outfit and his fedora hat, he looks like a young Jack Nicholson or Humphrey Bogart, blended with a small spattering of Jarvis Cocker type geekiness. The band are HUGE in every way possible, and the crowd go stir-crazy when it comes to Apply Some Pressure with its rousing, messianic message ‘What happens when you lose everything/You just start again/Start all over again’. I’ve found inspiration in those words many times since I first heard them. And as for Paul Smith, he seems taller than when I first saw him…taller and broader. Or maybe that’s because the stage is just a wee bit bigger.

Give the boy a pat on the back. He’s done good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors

Free Web Counter
hit Counter

Hits

Free Web Counter
hit Counter