gin soaked girl

This blog is about me and my adventures in the land of gin. Yes, gin is a country and I've visited it often. In fact I've conducted a passionate love affair with the place. Bought the t-shirt and definitely been to the duty-free. Along the way, I've been to a few gigs and undergone a bit of a personal renaissance. This blog celebrates the art of growing old disgracefully. Roll up. Roll up. Come join the fayre!

Monday, September 25, 2006

Lupen Crook doesn’t live here anymore

The Old Blue Last, 25 November 2006

What have we got to trust in anymore? What can we believe in? Is humanity facing extinction; the world disintegrating into violence and chaos as East takes on West, Poor challenges Rich, ‘home and family’ becomes ‘nearest port of call’ to the displaced masses, and nature transforms into avenging angel?

In this world of fragmentation, you would at least think that the Indie/anti-folk faction could stick together and not let down its brethren as was displayed this Monday night at the Old Blue Last in grimy but uber-trendy Old Street. Or shabby=chic inc., as it likes to be known.

Poor Lupen Crook. So popular all of a sudden- is the pressure getting to him? Of course his lyrics and ‘call me a freak, I don’t care’ attitude presages some kind of looming disaster/incarceration, but I’d have preferred if it wasn’t on my watch; selfish GSG.

The main thing I objected to about the night was the attitude of the Old Blue Last. It was forgivable of them not to cancel and to replace the said Lupen, with a strangely similarly-named Andy Creek, followed by the imaginatively-titled It Hugs Back (nice lads, it wasn't really necessary or kind to heckle them with the downright nasty 'Can we go now?'), but really- could they not have put the notice advising of said action in slightly larger writing maybe? In a slightly more prominent position? In the corridor outside or a downstairs location? Could they not have written the notice in black ink, or maybe even a FELT TIP PEN? OBL, with this attitude you were really disappointing me.

True, it was slightly amusing to witness, in a ‘God, I’m not the only one whose been duped’ kinda way, the sad image of every person who entered the ahem, ROOMY environs of the venue, quickly losing their toothy smiles and replacing them with a look of mild embarassment that they got so dressed up for NOUGHT. And certainly, elbowing, nudging, pushing, shoving, tall megalith-type blokes- these things were not a problem tonight. But, gives us a break, oh Lord of all things Indie. Oh great gig-promoter in the sky. What have I done to deserve this?

I remember last year that I was totally put off and deflated when HAL failed to arrive at ULU for a gig I had invited my friends to and bought the tickets for, and I completely cut them off after that. But this time I might be a little more charitable, as I really do quite like the wierd and wonderful output of Mr Crook, especially The Dead Relative, Wendy’s House, and Matilda V. Thank God for the old Bombay Sapphire, that’s what I say. Gin is definately an important part of every musically disappointing evening. GSG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors

Free Web Counter
hit Counter

Hits

Free Web Counter
hit Counter