gin soaked girl

This blog is about me and my adventures in the land of gin. Yes, gin is a country and I've visited it often. In fact I've conducted a passionate love affair with the place. Bought the t-shirt and definitely been to the duty-free. Along the way, I've been to a few gigs and undergone a bit of a personal renaissance. This blog celebrates the art of growing old disgracefully. Roll up. Roll up. Come join the fayre!

Monday, March 06, 2006

Good retro, bad retro, plus the frankly hilarious








Shitdisco & The Klaxons & Dandy Wind @ The Metro Club, Tottenham Court Road, 6/3/06

Dandy Wind
First up this evening are Montreal-based glitterdisco queens Dandy Wind who’s lead singer strides across the stage with epileptic abandon and makes me think that perhaps she may have been overdosing slightly on a fit-inducing cocktail of Kids from Fame and Olivia-Newton John videos. Or maybe she’s Karen Carpenter’s deranged alter-ego projected violently into the 21st century. Who can tell? However her antics play well to the crowd and I’m particularly impressed by her sequined leotard/red polka dot scarf/marble-effect leggings combo. It’s the kind of outfit that Cyndi Lauper in her youth would have relished.

The Klaxons
What can I say? Not my kind of thing really. Loud mid-90s imitation rave junkies with an army of teenybopper fans plus the usual accoutrements (whistles, glowsticks etc.); suitable perhaps for an empty field or warehouse but not a miniscule indie venue in central London. I didn't like it the first time round and I don't like it now.

Shitdisco
Finally! Shitdisco, feverishly exciting as always and complete with their latest image change- this time involving a cowboy shirt, string vest and road sweepers jacket (I’ve previously seem them sporting full-on GLC leisure wear and the smart/tailored look). I do love those boys with their dirty seventies rhythems and their flair for the dramatic, however I have to say that tonight they remind me of an indie boy pick and mix, or perhaps a low-fi Village People (in the best possible way). Sorry boys.

Oh and there were a few famous faces in the audience, but I demure from naming them because it just wouldn't be cool (although one of them definitely need his moptop trimming). OK, am I cool now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors

Free Web Counter
hit Counter

Hits

Free Web Counter
hit Counter