gin soaked girl

This blog is about me and my adventures in the land of gin. Yes, gin is a country and I've visited it often. In fact I've conducted a passionate love affair with the place. Bought the t-shirt and definitely been to the duty-free. Along the way, I've been to a few gigs and undergone a bit of a personal renaissance. This blog celebrates the art of growing old disgracefully. Roll up. Roll up. Come join the fayre!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Move to LA? Not likely with music like this around

Art Brut at the Barfly, 12th December 2005

If this is outsider art, then I’m all for it. Not completely mental, as with some of the abstract artists discovered by Jean Dubuffet, but certainly unique and ever-so slightly off the radar, lyrically and musically. When I first heard ‘Emily Kane’ my first reaction was ‘What the [expletive] is this?’; a common reaction I’m sure, but then I took the trouble to investigate further and discovered the less conventional (or less commonly expressed) sentiments of songs such as ‘Rusted guns of Milan’, ‘Formed a band’ and ‘My little brother’ more to my taste (I was never good with songs about falling in love, still being in love, la la la). The lyrics are funny and witty and at times esoteric, but without ever being pretentious, me thinks. In fact they are grittily down to earth and acessible to all; 'I saw her naked TWICE' he declares in 'Good weekend'. Well, good for you Eddie. Lucky girl.

In fact, Eddie Argos, the front man, obviously loves the crowd and on this occasion flops quite readily into the hungry arms of the assembled mob (don’t let the word mob mislead you, the fans are amiable enough) and makes it back to the stage still with shirt-buttons half-undone, the saucy chap. In fact he has a Cheshire cat grin on his face most of the time and creates an atmosphere of affectionate unity in the tiny venue- I want you all to go away and form your own band, this means a lot to me’; yes, yes, Eddie, I’ll do my best, I promise, honest; and for a moment I almost believe it.

An intelligent fantasist with a semi-political agenda and a sense of humour; well, stone me; it’s a rare occurrence in my experience. Oh, should say, Art Brut are definitely not for the stalwart Pete Docherty fans- ‘I’m sorry but that is a shit tattoo’ he declares- say it how it is now Eddie. I do like that man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors

Free Web Counter
hit Counter

Hits

Free Web Counter
hit Counter