gin soaked girl

This blog is about me and my adventures in the land of gin. Yes, gin is a country and I've visited it often. In fact I've conducted a passionate love affair with the place. Bought the t-shirt and definitely been to the duty-free. Along the way, I've been to a few gigs and undergone a bit of a personal renaissance. This blog celebrates the art of growing old disgracefully. Roll up. Roll up. Come join the fayre!

Friday, November 25, 2005

Up for it

23rd November 2005 – Water Rats Theatre, Kings Cross

Hey there, so last night I had a bit of wild time with an unplanned excursion to the Water Rats Theatre in Kings Cross. On the agenda were the similarly named Shitdisco (according to some sources you don't pronounce the T but this seems unlikely) and Eskimo Disco. The former were the main focus of mine and vokdaslut’s attention, although I hadn’t actually listened to their 'Disco Blood' single, only read a couple of glowing reviews in contemporary musical magazines. However, equipped with my limited arsenal of disco-based knowledge, I readily agreed to go along when cidertramp pulled out due to illness.

Armed with a desire to have an enjoyable evening, down a few gins, and frequent a venue which I’ve never been to before, I ventured forth full of unexpected joie de vivre (for a Wednesday night!) and enthusiasm. When we did arrive, the venue was rather insalubrious (shabby chic) but full of decadent Victorian glamour; the chandeliers and paintwork has seen better days but you could imagine that it was once a notable establishment. In any case, the architecture wasn’t what we came for, and we readily, after a couple of drinks, got down to the business of trying to listen to some music.

Unfortunately for the bands, and for us as it turned out, the place was half empty and those that were in attendance were rather of the ‘colourful character’ persuasion. A particular mention goes to the audience member (I choose my words very carefully), who saw fit to dance around half-cut and half-naked through most of Shitdisco’s set. The battle for the microphone which ensued during a gutsy performance of ‘I know Kung Fu’ ensured a place in my affections for the lead singer, as he showed what he was made of (not literally like the audience member in question) by sidestepping the interloper and reclaiming what was rightfully his. To observe his rumpled accountant demeanour (Rowland Rivron mixed with a splash of Robert Downey Jnr?) before the incident you wouldn’t have thought he had it in him, but, hey, people surprise you sometimes, and also they are from Glasgow so should be used to that sort of thing. Anyway, after the drunken ejit was ejected, the rest of the set was brilliant and I had a fab fab time.

Eskimodisco were equally good, although rather more on the um, well, gay side. The leader singer’s voice was incredibly high and donnasommerish, which I had read about, but was still surprised by in person. ‘The final countdown’ rounded off their set, which made this blogger go all nostalgic for the actual eighties rather than the pretendy eighties which we’re experiencing now. At one point, when the voice synthesisers starting to kick in I did start having flashbacks to a Chromeo gig I mistakenly wandered into a few months back, but that was only a minor hitch in an otherwise entertaining evening. I don't think I've ever been a gig which was quite so nuts and bolts before, but hey, it was an adventure, and that a good thing in my book. The wierder the better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors

Free Web Counter
hit Counter

Hits

Free Web Counter
hit Counter