gin soaked girl

This blog is about me and my adventures in the land of gin. Yes, gin is a country and I've visited it often. In fact I've conducted a passionate love affair with the place. Bought the t-shirt and definitely been to the duty-free. Along the way, I've been to a few gigs and undergone a bit of a personal renaissance. This blog celebrates the art of growing old disgracefully. Roll up. Roll up. Come join the fayre!

Monday, January 30, 2006

A nice cuppa tea [TIME FOR A RANT]

How great is tea? It’s a great British institution, maybe one of the greatest (it’s right up there with red pillar boxes and bowler hats), and it’s one that I’ve embrace wholeheartedly since childhood. My parents were great tea drinkers, oh yes, it was part of the fabric that kept our often sparring family together, but it means much more to me than simple nostalgia.

Think how shocked I was the other week then when BB contestant, Michael Barrymore, ended the scathing ‘I’m a bigger celebrity than you, you’re just a nobody’ argument with ‘coffee anyone?’. Are all our cherished ideals and standards slipping forever into transatlantic smog?

A cup of tea whatever anyone says, will always be more British, and more comforting than any latte, mocha, cappuccino-style nonsense you can mention. And another thing, why is it these days that you always get offered coffee first, and tea as an afterthought? Us tea drinkers must stick together to preserve our genteel traditions. If we’re not careful soon we’ll all be spelling colour without a u and praising the Lord at the drop of a hat.

Gin and tea are the only two drinks you really need in life… Mother’s Ruin and Mother’s little pick-me up. What more does anyone need? We need ‘tea and sympathy’ not coffee and schmaltz. {END OF RANT]

2 Comments:

  • At 3:49 AM, Blogger Jo Fringey said…

    Oi! oi! I take umbrage at the dissing of coffee. I know you’re biased, so I'd just like to point out that proper coffee is lovely and continental (Italian!) not boring North American and helps me through the morning after the night spent with gin, far more than Tetley’s ever could.
    jx

     
  • At 4:31 AM, Blogger gin soaked girl said…

    The cultural connotations of coffee in this country are all American- not authentic at all, but I think it's more the 'coffee-shop culture' I object to, rather than the drink itself. Anyway, point taken. And you should try Whittard's English Breakfast tea rather than Tetleys. Bring back traditional British tea shops! I won't be happy until there's a proper tea shop in Leicester Square.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors

Free Web Counter
hit Counter

Hits

Free Web Counter
hit Counter