gin soaked girl

This blog is about me and my adventures in the land of gin. Yes, gin is a country and I've visited it often. In fact I've conducted a passionate love affair with the place. Bought the t-shirt and definitely been to the duty-free. Along the way, I've been to a few gigs and undergone a bit of a personal renaissance. This blog celebrates the art of growing old disgracefully. Roll up. Roll up. Come join the fayre!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I wish I could/turn into you

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Kentish Town Forum, 16th May 2006

Could I please? If it could be arranged…maybe some kind of metamorphosis of the Greek mythological variety, or a more vaguely plausible ugly duckling= swan transformation? It sounds as if we’re entering some kind of X-men territory here, but if it was in any way possible, I would love to turn into Karen O in this or any other lifetime.

Have I lost my mind? Maybe, but the atmosphere in the Kentish Town Forum this evening is magical. I’m mesmerized by the flamboyant spectacle taking place on stage and feel totally at home in the equally transfixed and enthusiastic crowd of fellow devotees, who surprisingly are not at all snooty or pretentious as you would expect at this type of gig (me and my gin feel totally at home).

Karen O and the rest of the YYYs are fabulous in a totally unfussy way- her totally eccentric and brilliantly ‘home-made’ fashion sense and her ‘almost too shrill but not quite’ Kate Bush-esque vocal performance is totally different to anything else around. Musically I guess the band have been compared to the Strokes as they have a similar genealogy and pedigree but the presence of a female lead singer with the on-stage charisma and glamour of Karen O, transports them to another sphere of influence altogether.

If Karen O (what DOES the O stand for? I think it must be ostentatious) was a dancer she’d be more of your Martha Graham than your Margot Fonteyn and that’s meant as a compliment. Arty and avant garde, the woman gives young girl rock groups something to aim for, and rock chicks something to be proud of. In the last century there was Siouxsie Sioux, Chrissie Hynde, Debbie Harry and Annie Lennox, but who do we have now? Anna Matronic from The Scissor Sisters? Kate Jackson from The Long Blondes? Karen O wins hands down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Visitors

Free Web Counter
hit Counter

Hits

Free Web Counter
hit Counter